Kevin and Carol Bennett
Kevin and Carol Bennett

Farragut State Park

Fish and Game hunting tags

To hunt in Idaho you need:

  • A hunting license.
  • A tag for big game species and turkey.
  • Hunter education if born on or after January 1, 1975
  • OR take part in our Hunting Passport program.

Proof of residency is required to buy any resident license. A resident is anyone who has been domiciled in this state with a bona fide intent to make this their place of permanent abode, for a period of not less than 6 months immediately preceding the date of application for any license, tag or permit. A senior resident is anyone age 65 and older who has lived in the state at least 6 months immediately preceding the date of application for a senior license or tag.
A driver must prove residency with a valid Idaho driver’s license. Nondrivers may use other suitable proof of residency, such as:

    An Idaho Identification Card issued by the Department of Transportation.
    Two documents bearing his or her name and address, not issued by himself or herself, such as:
    - rent receipts or mortgage statements for the previous six months
    - home utility bills for the previous 6 months
    - a notarized statement from an employer on business letterhead
    - proof of voter registration dated 6 months prior
    - in the case of a child under 18, identification from a parent.
    A previous year’s hunting, fishing or trapping license is not proof of residency.

A member of the military of the United States or of a foreign country, or a member of the Idaho National or Air National Guard, together with spouse and children under 18 residing in his or her household, on active duty and permanently stationed in Idaho for 30 days preceding application shall be eligible to buy a resident license, as long as such assignment continues.

Idaho residents, who are in the U.S. military and maintain Idaho as their official state of residence, together with spouse and children under 18 residing in his or her household, shall be eligible to buy a resident license. The service person himself or herself is eligible to buy a furlough license from any vendor while on leave. Other permits and validations must be attached as required. Please see the Options for Active Military Personnel section for more information.

Owning real property or paying property taxes within the state of Idaho is not a qualification for residency. No one can claim Idaho resident privileges while claiming resident privileges in another state, except military personnel.

    Persons who do not qualify as residents must purchase nonresident licenses.

Visit Fish and Game’s website,

Print Email

Featured Area


Follow us on Twitter